Monday, December 6, 2010

RIP CFTPA (December 5 1998-December 5 2010)

Casiotone for the Painfully Alone played their last ever show last night in San Diego. I guess it's not a big deal, really, since it's more the end of a name than the end of a person. Owen has already announced he's going to be continuing making music almost immediately under the name Advance Base.

Still, the old songs are done. I am excited for the new ones.

But it's still sort of sad for me. Casiotone for the Painfully Alone has probably been the most important musicians to me, personally, artistically, emotionally, personally, whatever. I think I knew twenty seconds into "When the Bridge Toll Was One Dollar" in 2007 that it was the most "me" music that I've ever heard.

His five totally incredible albums document a really neat artistic progression. Things change but each sort of still manages to hit all of the right notes, for me, all the time.

I am still sort of happy there's a picture of me on his site.

I don't hesitate to say he's probably one of the best storytellers living.

I am really glad I was able to see him back in April 2008, but sad I've missed every other show he's played in any major city around me since. Including, most recently, when I saw Blonde Redhead (and I don't regret it at all).

I am just a little sad I'll never get to see White Jetta live. That song has been really important and close to me.



CFTPA, I love you and I will miss you.

Advance Base, I will see you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment