Monday, December 27, 2010

At the time of writing, I have been, more or less, trapped in a house that isn't mine (or even a house I would really prefer to be in) for nearly two days. Hopefully I can sleep until the town has actually plowed the roads and make some sort of escape.

I'll be out of clothes then, anyway. And food, I hear. Bad news, this snow. Get thee gone.

Despite having my laptop I haven't gotten anything that I've wanted to get done, done. Or even worked on.

It probably hasn't been that bad. It's just kind of like... confronting restlessness every second of the day. And knowing there are things you much rather be doing than being stuck wherever you are. And there a lot of things I would rather be doing than this. And people I would like to be spending time being with and being warm with.

I think we will soon, though. And then hopefully a lot of times after that.

I have been listening to a lot of weird things. I made it through the whole of Bright Eyes' Fevers & Mirrors, Digital Ash in a Digital Urn, and I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning while shoveling a driveway. I remember it being the exact same soundtrack to shoveling snow back in, like, January/February 2005. Maybe it is just the almost six years of general life that has happened in between, but those albums were a sort of heavy soundtrack to whatever I was upset/angsty/whatever about. The first of the three, especially. Or maybe that is the idea. I think I realized for the first time that that album's high/hopeful moments do basically nothing to fix the crushing stuff.

Not that it has to. Or that there has to be a balance. Just, Fevers & Mirrors it ends with some sort of positive feeling, I think, as if to say "there is hope here", except after the rest of it, it barely matters. Maybe that is why I always stopped the thing at "Sunrise, Sunset" and let it be a solid, sad thing. I think this line of thought is sort of dumb. Never mind, probably.

I also went through Animal Collective's Merriweather Post Pavilion for the first time in a while. It's such a summer recording, but it'll always probably be linked to winter memories. I really vividly remember it leaking in the afternoon on Christmas Day in 2008 and leaving out Christmas dinner early just to go home and listen to a pretty shitty vinyl rip of it. But it was still sort of magical. Held the title for biggest Christmas miracle until this year's Abraham Lincoln day calendar exchange, at least. It says a lot about both things.

But MPP. I still probably don't like it as much as some people do, and it isn't my favorite Animal Collective album, but it definitely is special to me. So warm and comfortable and sleepy (in a good way). I think I almost described it as sexy, which could be a weird way to describe music that obviously isn't, I don't know, 'doin' it music' (of which I do not have any (except The-Dream (but come on))).

It might be.

Or maybe it just a good time for it maybe. It was just really nice to listen to again. I'd like to nap to it somewhere warm soon (((((and i hope it is with you))))).

No comments:

Post a Comment